Please Consider A Small Donation

Please consider a small donation to help us cover our running cost,so that we can keep this site FREE for everyone.

Amount:
Please consider a donation (10 Jul 2018)

Keep the Bongo Forum Alive

× Welcome to the Bongo forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Question Hello to the Bongo Freda Peeps

More
2 years 3 months ago #1453 by R0b
R0b created the topic: Hello to the Bongo Freda Peeps
Hello,

I have just brought a fully converted ford Freda and wanted to say hello, When I say converted I mean, it's got a fully working kitchen and sleeping space for 4, not the LPG conversion.

I have only had it 1 week and I am going for my first outing next week.

Great to find a forum with such helpful advice and friendly members!

I do however have a question, I have a 240 hookup in the boot and a leisure battery under the bonnet, when I stay at a campside and use the eclectic hook-up. what do people do about securing the vehicle, I assumed when I brought it I would hook it up and leave it connected but I have realised that there doesn't seem to be a hole to run the lead out of the van.

Do I just connect it up at the campsite when I am in the vehicle and then unplug when I turn in for the night? and how would I know what state both batteries are in? Would I just buy a battery checker and connect it in turn to each battery. I know on new vehicles they have entry points to connect to the lead to and they also show if you are using the leisure battery. I'm guessing that everything that plugs into 240 sockets will only work from the campsite hookup and anything connected to the 12v is either drawing power from the leisure battery or the main battery but which one?

I don't know if what I have written makes sense and there is more than one question but any help would be appreciated.

All the best Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1462 by Katka
Katka replied the topic: Hello to the Bongo Freda Peeps
On the few occasions that we've used the hook up, when we've gone away from the 'van we disconnect it and lock the vehicle up. Although 99.9% of folk will be completely honest, the possibility of light fingers makes this the sensible option - especially as any claim theft of contents or vehicle would probably be declined by your insurer if it's unattended and unlocked.
We no longer take the hook up cable as it serves us no purpose - we have no need for 240v. The LB is up to the job and topped up the next day's motoring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R0b

More
2 years 3 months ago #1464 by R0b
R0b replied the topic: Hello to the Bongo Freda Peeps
Thanks for your help, with this, So the LB gets charged whilst you are driving just like the main battery. Good to know, Are there any lights that come on in the van when the LB is starting to run down or is it just a matter of getting used to how long it lasts.

Thanks

More
2 years 3 months ago #1466 by Katka
Katka replied the topic: Hello to the Bongo Freda Peeps
The way I (as a non-electrician) think of it is that the LB takes any 'excess' power once the starter batt is full. There aren't any warning lights to show the state of charge of the LB, although I did fit a meter for that purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R0b

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds