Please Consider A Small Donation

Please consider a small donation to help us cover our running cost,so that we can keep this site FREE for everyone.

Amount:
Please consider a donation (10 Jul 2018)

Keep the Bongo Forum Alive

× Our old original forum has a searchable archive.

Question Diesel Pump Leak and cold start trouble

More
2 years 8 months ago #1002 by Joshdavis
Joshdavis created the topic: Diesel Pump Leak and cold start trouble
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so appreciate any help.

I have two issues with a newly acquire bongo:

1. I just discovered a small leak in my diesel pump of 1995 2.5 turbo Bongo. I have seen on a post on the older forum that it might be related to bolts/screws that work loose? This is perhaps wishful thinking that it is this and not a seal, but I cant find the 10mm bolts that could be the loose ones? Can anyone help out with this. The leak seems to be coming from the back and if anything the drip comes from the bottom right screw?

2. The other issue I have is related to the cold start. If I dont give the throttle a little gas it doesn't seem to want to start. When it does it smokes for 30 secs and coughs and spluttlers then calms down. If i turn it off after 30-60secs after running and start again it starts first time with no throttle. Again from what I read on forums this could be a glow plug issue. I can hear a click by the plugs when I turn the key to warm the plugs so would this suggest it is not a relay issue?

Any help on either issue would be massively appreciated. I live in Canada BC so mechanics who can work on these are hard to come by,

Cheers JOsh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #1003 by WiniBongo
WiniBongo replied the topic: Diesel Pump Leak and cold start trouble
search topic of Fuel Pump Leak from 24th July :)

More
2 years 8 months ago #1004 by Joshdavis
Joshdavis replied the topic: Diesel Pump Leak and cold start trouble
Great thanks. Is there a chance if I tighten the 2x M10 bolts that thread refers to the leak will be resolved then? Seems tricky to get to but if it avoids having to hunt down parts in Canada it will be a good day!

More
2 years 8 months ago #1005 by WiniBongo
unlikely as the green o-rings (bosch reference detailed in other post of fuel pump leak) will have hardened and this will cause the problem. theres photos of the fuel pump plates where the o-rings are on prev.post. and clear instructions how to do it, unfortunately if its from the back thats the tricky one as front is done in 15 mins. chers Enki

More
2 years 8 months ago #1010 by Joshdavis
Joshdavis replied the topic: Diesel Pump Leak and cold start trouble
Great thanks.

Is it ok to drive with a slow leak? I've read conflicting things online. And I've prob been driving without realising already!?

Thanks for your help so far. Slowly going from a complete mechanic newb to someone who is starting to understand what all those pieces under the bonnet are for. Oddly satisfying

More
2 years 8 months ago #1011 by WiniBongo
in my experience a small leak with only be small for a little while then it'll pee out everywhere!, you may get a day or 2 at low revs.
the fuel pump has a horizontal piston which bangs against the back plate and over 20 years the green o-ring will have hardened and perished a bit causing fuel to escape. Fiddly job and you'll scrape some skin off your hand and get stuck several times doing it so lube up well with washing up liquid! cleam the back plate with fine emery paper so it's shiny as it'll have a ring impression on it from the piston.
do the front dome plate at the same time as thats only a 15 min job, suck fuel through the top left pipe from the pump and it'll start first time :) otherwise it'll take hours of messing around getting the air lock out of the injector pipes. i'll try and measure the diameter of my old o-rings later if i get chance and let you know as i guess any neoprene ones should be ok.
and yes, it'll be good satisfaction when you've done it yourself and saved a packet.
cheers Enki

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds